Steak and bourbon are a classic pairing, and for good reason—the sweetness of the bourbon complements the beef’s richly savory notes. Here, we take the whiskey in spice-rub form, seasoning the meat with a brown sugar bourbon spice blend for smoky, savory-sweet depth, then sear to perfection. On the side, there’s crispy roasted Brussels sprouts and buttery, scallion-laced mashed potatoes. Think it can’t get any better? More of the spices go into a creamy mustard pan sauce for drizzling over top, because we just can’t get enough.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
McCormick Grill Mates Brown Sugar Bourbon Seasoning
Beef Stock Concentrate
Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces (no need to peel). Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and halve Brussels sprouts lengthwise.
• Place potatoes in a medium pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain and return potatoes to pot. • Mash potatoes with half the sour cream (you’ll use the rest later) and 1 TBSP butter, adding splashes of reserved potato cooking liquid as needed until smooth and creamy. • Stir in half the scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper. Keep covered until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.
• While potatoes cook, toss Brussels sprouts on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 18-22 minutes.
• Meanwhile, pat steak* dry with paper towels; season all over with half the McCormick® Grill Mates® Brown Sugar Bourbon Seasoning (you’ll use the rest in the next step). • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook to desired doneness, 3-6 minutes per side. Turn off heat; transfer to a cutting board to rest. • TIP: Lower heat if spice blend begins to burn.
• Heat another drizzle of oil in same pan over medium heat. Add scallion whites and remaining McCormick® Grill Mates® Brown Sugar Bourbon Seasoning. Cook, stirring, until scallion whites are softened and fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in stock concentrate and ¼ cup water. Simmer until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and whisk in mustard. • Turn off heat; stir in remaining sour cream and 1 TBSP butter. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1/3 cup water and 2 TBSP butter.
• Slice steak against the grain. Divide potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and steak between plates. Spoon sauce over steak. Sprinkle with remaining scallion greens and serve.