Chicken with Cherry Pan Sauce
with Loaded Mashed Potatoes & Roasted Asparagus
The star of tonight’s dinner is a creamy, sweet, and tangy pan sauce. You’ll learn from the pros how to do it right! After searing the chicken until golden-brown and juicy, you’ll add scallions, cherry jam, concentrated chicken stock, sour cream, and butter. You’ll spoon all that richness over the chicken and serve it with tender roasted asparagus and mashed potatoes loaded with sour cream, Parmesan, scallions, and crisp, smoky bacon.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Place in a medium pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 15-20 minutes. Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain. • Return potatoes to pot and cover to keep warm. (You’ll finish the potatoes in Step 4.)
• Place bacon* on a baking sheet; roast on top rack until crispy, 15-20 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board. Once cool enough to handle, roughly chop. • Meanwhile, trim and discard bottom 1 inch from asparagus. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over high heat. Add chicken and sear until golden brown, 2 minutes per side. Turn off heat; transfer chicken to one side of a second baking sheet. Wipe out pan and let cool slightly. • Toss asparagus on empty side of sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. Roast on middle rack until chicken is cooked through and asparagus is tender and lightly browned, 10-12 minutes.
• To pot with potatoes, add 2 TBSP butter (3 TBSP for 4 servings). Mash, adding splashes of reserved potato cooking liquid as needed, until smooth and creamy (for extra richness, use milk from your pantry instead of potato cooking liquid!). • Fold in half the bacon and half the scallion greens. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover to keep warm. TIP: If bacon isn’t finished yet, stir in right before serving.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for chicken over medium heat. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings), jam, and stock concentrate. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in sour cream and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4). Season with salt and pepper.
• Slice chicken crosswise. • Divide chicken, asparagus, and mashed potatoes between plates. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle mashed potatoes with remaining bacon and remaining scallion greens. Serve.
Bacon is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 145°.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.