Our chefs took a traditional meat-based taco recipe and turned it into something that’s completely veg-friendly and just as satisfying. It uses chickpeas as the main protein, and they become all the more hearty when simmered in a warmly spiced tomato sauce. They’re joined by add-ins and toppings like poblano pepper, pickled shallot, and Monterey Jack cheese, making them a winner on Meatless Monday or any other night of the week.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
White Wine Vinegar
Southwest Spice Blend
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Flour Tortillas(ContainsWheat, Soy)
Monterey Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
• Wash and dry all produce. • Halve, peel, and very thinly slice shallot. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Core, deseed, and finely chop poblano. Quarter lime. Dice tomato.
• In a medium bowl, combine vinegar, half the shallot, 1 tsp sugar (2 tsp for 4 servings), a pinch of salt, and 1 TBSP water until sugar and salt are mostly dissolved. • Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Pat chickpeas dry with paper towels; season with half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step), salt, and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chickpeas and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crisped, 4-5 minutes. • Transfer to a second medium bowl.
• Heat another large drizzle of olive oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add poblano and remaining shallot; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 3-4 minutes. • Return chickpeas to pan and stir in tomato paste, stock concentrate, remaining Southwest Spice, and ¼ cup water (½ cup for 4 servings). Cook, stirring, until chickpeas are coated in a thick sauce, 2-3 minutes more.
While filling cooks, wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave until warm and pliable, 30 seconds. • In a small bowl, combine sour cream and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Divide tortillas between plates. Fill with chickpea filling, tomato, Monterey Jack, crema, and as much pickled shallot (draining first) as you like. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.