Power bowl. Grain bowl. Buddha bowl. No matter what you call it, it’s definitely here to stay. This one ticks all the boxes—it’s nourishing, quick, and bursting with flavorful veggies. Plus, the base is our fave “it” grain: farro. If you’re unfamiliar, farro is an ancient grain with a nutty flavor, addictively chewy texture, and high fiber content. Here, it’s topped with roasted sweet potatoes, pickled red cabbage, buttery kale, crunchy pepitas, and finished with a creamy harissa dressing. One bite will have you totally bowled over.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Shredded Red Cabbage
Veggie Stock Concentrate
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. • In a medium pot, combine farro, stock concentrate, and 3½ cups water. Bring to a boil and cook until farro is tender, 25-30 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 6 cups water. • TIP: If you end up with any excess stock, simply pour it out. Alternatively, if stock evaporates before farro is done, add a splash of water.
• Meanwhile, wash and dry all produce. • Dice sweet potato into ½-inch pieces. Toss on a baking sheet with half the Fry Seasoning and a large drizzle of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. • Roast on top rack until golden brown and tender, 20-25 minutes. • 4 SERVINGS: Use all the Fry Seasoning.
While sweet potato roasts, zest and halve lemon. • In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine juice from lemon and 1 tsp sugar; stir until sugar has dissolved. • Add cabbage and 2 TBSP water; toss to coat. Microwave for 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 tsp sugar. Add 4 TBSP water.
• Mince or grate garlic. • In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, as much lemon zest and garlic as you like, and harissa powder to taste (start with a small pinch, then taste and add more from there if you like). • Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Remove and discard any large ribs from kale. Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. • Add kale and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes. Stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. Remove pan from heat. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.
• While kale cooks, halve and core apple; cut half the apple into a small dice. • Stir 1 TBSP butter into farro until melted. Stir in diced apple and season with salt and pepper. • Divide farro between bowls and top with kale, pickled cabbage, and sweet potato. Drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle with pepitas and serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use whole apple and 2 TBSP butter.