Rice and beans are the pinnacle of comfort food. The classic combo is simple, nourishing, and super easy to whip up. Well, our chefs have officially broken them out of their comfort-zone (in the very best way)! The results? Creamy black beans stewed with poblano and tangy salsa verde, then ladled over fluffy scallion-studded rice and topped with fresh tomato salsa, Pepper Jack, and spiced crema. Double the salsa, double the fun!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Southwest Spice Blend
Pepper Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
• Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and cook until softened, 1 minute. • Stir in rice and 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, finely dice tomato. Core, deseed, and dice poblano into ½-inch pieces. Drain and rinse beans. • In a small bowl, combine tomato, half the scallion greens, and a large drizzle of olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
• In a second small bowl, combine sour cream with ½ tsp Southwest Spice (1 tsp for 4 servings). (You’ll use the remaining Southwest Spice later.) Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add poblano and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • Reduce heat to medium.
• Stir beans, remaining Southwest Spice, and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) into pan with poblano. Cook, stirring, until mixture is fragrant and butter has melted, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in green salsa and ½ tsp sugar (1 tsp for 4). Cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are softened, 1-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. • Divide rice between bowls and top with bean mixture, pepper jack, salsa fresca, and crema. Garnish with remaining scallion greens and serve.