Farro, a variety of hulled wheat, is praised for its chewy texture and nutty flavor. To make this bowl shine, we pair the tasty ancient grain with roasted asparagus and zucchini, aromatic onion and garlic, lemony dressing, nutty Parmesan cheese, and crunchy walnuts. Get ready to be bowled over!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. • In a medium pot, combine farro, stock concentrates, and 3½ cups water (6 cups for 4 servings). Bring to a boil and cook until farro is tender, 25-30 minutes total. TIP: If you end up with any excess stock, simply pour it out. Alternatively, if stock evaporates before farro is done, add a splash of water.
• Meanwhile, wash and dry all produce. • Trim and discard woody bottom ends from asparagus. Cut off tips and set aside; chop stalks into ½-inch pieces. Trim and thinly slice zucchini into rounds. Halve, peel, and finely dice onion. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Zest and halve lemon; cut one half into wedges.
• Toss asparagus tips and zucchini on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil. Season generously with salt and pepper. • Roast on middle rack, tossing halfway through, until browned and tender, 15-20 minutes.
• While veggies roast, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent, 3-4 minutes. • Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
• When farro has 5 minutes left (grains should be just shy of al dente), stir chopped asparagus stalks into pot. Once everything is tender, drain farro and asparagus, then add to pan with onion and garlic. • Stir in half the lemon zest, juice from lemon half, half the Parmesan (save the rest for serving), and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper.
• Divide farro mixture between bowls. Top with zucchini and asparagus tips. Sprinkle with walnuts, remaining Parmesan, and remaining lemon zest. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.