Herbed Portobello Mushroom Salad
with Roasted Red Peppers, Parmesan & Garlic Butter Croutons
You ever go to an Italian-American red sauce joint and order a big chopped salad? The kind you just start craving on a random Wednesday night? Well, this salad tastes like that old-school favorite, starring meaty roasted portobellos and silky roasted red peppers. They’re served over a crisp salad of crunchy romaine, cool cukes, and juicy tomatoes. And you’ll recognize the dressing as that creamy Italian vinaigrette that’s zesty with the right touch of herbs. Finished with Parmesan and croutons, this substantial dinner-worthy salad is ready in 30 minutes to hit your table—with or without a red checkered tablecloth.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Milk, Wheat)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Using the tip of a spoon, remove and discard black gills from undersides of mushrooms; trim any large stems if necessary. Halve, core, and slice bell pepper into ½-inch-thick strips.
• Drizzle both sides of each mushroom with oil; rub to evenly coat. Season all over with ¾ tsp Italian Seasoning (1½ tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. Place mushrooms, gill sides down, on one side of a baking sheet. • Toss bell pepper on empty side with a large drizzle of oil and ¾ tsp Italian Seasoning (remaining seasoning for 4). Season generously with salt and pepper. • Roast on top rack until veggies are tender, 14-16 minutes. TIP: If mushrooms are done before pepper, remove mushrooms from sheet and continue roasting pepper. • Transfer veggies to a plate to cool slightly. TIP: Place plate in refrigerator to cool more quickly.
• While veggies roast, thinly slice cucumber into rounds. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces. Trim and discard root end from lettuce; chop leaves into bite-size pieces until you have about 4 loose cups (8 cups for 4 servings). • Transfer chopped lettuce to a large bowl.
• In a small bowl (use a medium bowl for 4 servings), toss cucumber and tomato with Italian dressing. Set aside to marinate, tossing occasionally.
• Once roasted veggies have cooled slightly, slice mushrooms into ½-inchthick strips. • Add cucumber and tomato to bowl with lettuce, leaving marinade behind. TIP: Use a slotted spoon for easy transfer. • To bowl with marinade, add mayonnaise and 1 TBSP olive oil (2 TBSP for 4 servings); whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper if desired. • To bowl with salad, add half the bell pepper and as much dressing as you like. Toss to coat.
• Divide salad between plates. Top with mushrooms, remaining bell pepper, Parmesan, and croutons. Serve.