Kid’s BBQ Chicken & Pineapple Pizza-Dillas
+ Snack: Grilled Cheese Dippers with Three Sauces
Does planning, cooking, and packing kids’ lunches + snacks feel like your part-time (or full-time) job? We feel you, and we’re here to help. This 20-minute lunch is the perfect make-ahead lunchbox time-saver: a kid-approved BBQ chicken and pineapple pizza-style quesadilla complete with apple and cucumber slices, and waffle sticks for a sweet treat. But that’s not all—it’ll be snack time before you know it! Serve up buttery grilled cheese sticks with a bevy of crowd-pleasing dipping sauces: marinara, ranch, and guac. That’s right: We’re thinking outside the lunchbox (so you don’t have to!).
This recipe is designed to provide lunch and snack components for multiple days. For each lunch and snack meal, 3 servings and 6 servings are provided for a 2 person and 4 person box respectively. Nutrition information under the Nutrition Values section below is for the lunch portion. Nutrition values for 1 serving of the Grilled Cheese Dippers snack is as follows: Calories: 480, Fat: 34g, Saturated Fat: 15g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Sodium: 870mg, Carbohydrates: 41g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 4g, Protein: 13g.
Download the nutrition labels to see final nutrition information for both lunch and snack components.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Eggs, Milk, Wheat)
Chicken Breast Strips
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(Contains Eggs, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Drain pineapple. Halve, core, and thinly slice or dice apple (whichever your kid prefers!). Thinly slice cucumber into rounds. Cut waffle into 1-inch-thick strips.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. • Turn off heat; transfer to a medium bowl. Wash out pan.
• Add BBQ sauce and pineapple to bowl with chicken; toss to coat. • Arrange tortillas on a clean work surface. Add chicken mixture to bottom half of each tortilla. Top with mozzarella. • Fold tortillas in half to create pizza-dillas.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for chicken over medium heat. Add pizza-dillas and cook until tortillas are golden brown and cheese melts, 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. (Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to work in batches, adding a drizzle of oil for each batch.)
• To serve: Halve pizza-dillas. Divide between plates and serve with apple slices, cucumber slices, and waffle sticks. • To stash: Let pizza-dillas cool completely before halving. Refrigerate pizza-dillas, apple slices, cucumber slices, and waffle sticks in separate containers and pack as desired!
• Fill bread slices with cheddar to form sandwiches. • Melt 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 6 servings) in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium heat. Once butter has melted, add sandwiches and cook until bread is golden and cheese melts slightly, 2-3 minutes per side. (Work in batches if necessary, adding more butter for each batch.) • Cut sandwiches crosswise into 1-inchthick strips. Divide between plates and serve with marinara, ranch dressing, and guacamole on the side for dipping.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.