Backyard Bratwurst Bar
with Caramelized Onion, Pineapple Relish & Dijonnaise Slaw | 4-6 Servings
Summer entertaining is all about the hot dogs, so we kicked that grilling classic up a notch with juicy bratwurst stuffed into baguettes. Serve them up with an array of mix-and-match toppings: sweet caramelized onion, seasoned tomatoes, pickles, tangy pineapple relish with a kick of heat, and creamy Dijon slaw. This crowd-pleasing meal is best enjoyed family style so that everyone can build their perfect brat. Guten appetite!
Nutrition values are representative of a 1/4 bundle serving.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Sliced Dill Pickle
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Red Pepper Jam
White Wine Vinegar
Red Cabbage & Carrot Mix
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Dice a few pickle slices until you have 2 TBSP. Cut tomatoes into 1⁄2-inch-thick wedges; transfer to a plate and season with salt and pepper. Halve baguettes lengthwise, stopping before you get all the way through.
• GRILLING ALTERNATIVE: Preheat a well- oiled grill or grill pan to medium heat.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add sausage* and sear until browned all over, 6-8 minutes. (You may need to cook in batches. If sausage begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium low.) Reduce heat to low and cover pan with lid; cook until cooked through, 5-7 minutes more. • GRILLING ALTERNATIVE: Add sausage to grill or grill pan. Grill until browned and cooked through, 10-12 minutes per side. (If sausage begins to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium low.)
• While sausage cooks, heat a large drizzle of oil in a second large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 8-10 minutes. Add 1 tsp sugar and a splash of water; cook until caramelized, 2-3 minutes more. • Remove from heat. Stir in 1 TBSP butter until melted. Season with salt and pepper. • GRILLING ALTERNATIVE: Place onion in the center of a large piece of foil. Drizzle with oil and season with 1 tsp sugar, salt, and pepper. Cinch into a packet. Add onion foil packet to one side of grill or grill pan. Grill until softened, 10-12 minutes.
• While onion cooks, heat a dry, medium pan over medium heat. Add pineapple and juice, jam, diced pickles, half the vinegar, and 1⁄4 cup water. Increase heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until relish has thickened and water has evaporated, 2-4 minutes. • Remove pan from heat. Set aside to cool.
• In a medium bowl, combine mustard, mayonnaise, remaining vinegar, and 1 tsp sugar. Add red cabbage and carrot mix; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
• Transfer caramelized onion, pineapple relish, and slaw to serving bowls and place on a large board or platter. Place seasoned tomatoes and remaining pickle slices on board. • Fill baguettes with sausage and as many toppings as you like. Serve family style!