It’s commonly agreed that no one makes meatloaf quite like Mom. But our chefs will settle for second best by taking a page from her book and passing on this recipe that stays about as true to tradition as can be. These ground beef mini loaves are brushed with a ketchup glaze, served with roasted broccoli and potatoes, and drizzled with an herby gravy. And if you’d like to claim this recipe as your own, don’t worry—we’ll stay mum.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Yukon Gold Potatoes
Beef Stock Concentrate
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Cut potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Halve and peel shallot; grate one half on the largest holes of a box grater and place in a large bowl. Mince remaining shallot. Peel and mince garlic. Roughly chop parsley. Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces if necessary.
• Toss potatoes on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, to bowl with grated shallot, add beef*, garlic, panko, half the parsley, salt (we used ¾ tsp; 1½ tsp for 4 servings), and pepper. Gently combine, then form into two 1-inch-tall loaves (four loaves for 4). Place on one side of a second baking sheet. • Brush tops of meatloaves with 1 TBSP ketchup (all the ketchup for 4).
• Toss broccoli on opposite side of sheet from meatloaves with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on middle rack until broccoli is tender and meatloaves are cooked through, 15-20 minutes. TIP: If broccoli finishes first, remove from sheet and continue roasting meatloaves.
• Meanwhile, melt ½ TBSP butter (1 TBSP for 4 servings) in a medium pan over medium heat. Add minced shallot; cook, stirring, until softened, 3-4 minutes. • Sprinkle with flour; stir vigorously to combine. Whisk in stock concentrate and ½ cup water (1 cup for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened and saucy, 3-4 minutes. • Stir in remaining parsley; season with salt and pepper.
• Slice meatloaves crosswise. • Divide meatloaves, potatoes, and broccoli between plates. Spoon gravy over meatloaves and serve.