Mexican-Style Beef & Bean “Lasagna”
2x the delicious servings!
Get ready for a crowd-pleasing family style dinner that everyone (even the kiddos) will love: a magnificent mashup only our chefs could dream up “Mexican-style lasagna”: We replace the noodles with layers of flour tortillas, season the beef with Tex-Mex spices, add black beans, and sub in Mexican cheeses for mozzarella. Bake it so the flavors mingle in the oven, then straight to the table it goes with sour cream, crushed tortillas chips, hot sauce, and lime for customizable deliciousness.
This recipe is double the typical servings, providing 4 servings and 8 servings for a 2 person and 4 person box respectively.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Mexican Cheese Blend
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Quarter lime.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add beef*, scallion whites, a pinch of salt, and pepper. Cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 6-8 minutes. TIP: If you don’t have a pot that’s big enough, use a large pan and work in batches. • While beef cooks, drain beans. Halve tortillas.
• Carefully drain any excess grease from pot. TIP: Use a slotted spoon to transfer beef to a bowl, then pour out grease and return beef to pot. • Stir in beans, diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex paste, and stock concentrates. Cook, stirring constantly, until well combined, 1-2 minutes. • Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
• Arrange four tortilla halves, cut sides facing out, on the bottom of a lightly oiled 8-by-8-inch baking dish (use eight tortilla halves and a 9-by-13-inch baking dish for 8 servings). • Spread one-third of the beef mixture in an even layer over tortillas, then top with one packet of Mexican cheese blend (two packets for 8). Repeat two more times with remaining tortillas, beef mixture, and cheese.
• Lightly coat a large piece of aluminum foil with nonstick cooking spray. Cover baking dish tightly with foil, coated side down. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. • Bake “lasagna” on middle rack until cheese melts and filling is hot and bubbling, 10-12 minutes. TIP: For a browned crust, broil, uncovered, for an additional 2 minutes after baking.
• Crush tortilla chips in bag. • Once “lasagna” is done, allow to cool at least 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with scallion greens. Serve “lasagna” family style, with sour cream, tortilla chips, lime wedges, and hot sauce on the side.
Ground beef is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 160°.