Craving the comfort of a hearty, saucy pasta, minus the meat? We’ve got you covered. Here, we swap in a ground plant-based protein, which we sauté with bell pepper and scallions, then simmer in a rich, creamy, herby tomato sauce. It’s tossed with al dente rigatoni noodles, then topped with Parmesan. Who needs the meat when you’ve got all that?
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Ground Plant-Based Protein(ContainsSoy, Tree Nuts, Wheat)
• Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. • Core, deseed, and dice bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook until lightly browned and slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. • Add another drizzle of olive oil, plant-based protein*, and scallion whites to pan; cook, breaking up protein into pieces, until browned and warmed through, 4-6 minutes.
• Once water is boiling, add rigatoni to pot. Cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes. Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water, then drain.
• While pasta cooks, stir Italian Seasoning, tomato paste, and 1 tsp sugar (2 tsp for 4 servings) into pan with veggie mixture until combined. • Stir in cream cheese and ¾ cup plain water (1¼ cup for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until sauce is combined and thickened, 1-2 minutes. • Reduce heat to low and stir in half the Parmesan (save the rest for serving). Season with salt and pepper.
• Add rigatoni and 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) to pan with sauce; stir to coat. If needed, stir in reserved pasta cooking water a splash at a time until pasta is coated in a creamy sauce. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Divide pasta between bowls. Top with scallion greens and remaining Parmesan. Serve.