Pork Sausage & Pepper Flatbreads
with Monterey Jack & Mozzarella
Web Description: This week, our chefs took the beloved sausage and pepper-stuffed Italian hoagie from stadium standard to stellar weeknight dinner with a few delicious twists. First, they dropped the hoagie roll and replaced it with golden, crispy flatbread. They are then spread with a rich tomato sauce and topped with sweet roasted pepper slices and savory sausage. Finally, they topped it with two kinds of cheese. Yep, it’s safe to say this dish is a home run.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Long Green Pepper
Italian Pork Sausage Mix
(Contains Sesame, Wheat)
Monterey Jack Cheese
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position (top and middle positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges. Slice top off green pepper; core and deseed, then cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick rings.
• Place flatbreads on a lightly oiled baking sheet; toast on top rack until golden, 5-7 minutes. (For 4 servings, divide between 2 sheets; toast on top and middle racks.)
• While flatbreads toast, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, green pepper, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 6-8 minutes. Turn off heat; transfer veggies to a plate. Wipe out pan. • Remove sausage* from casing if necessary; discard casing. Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan and cook, breaking meat up into pieces, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine ¼ cup water and 2 TBSP butter (1⁄3 cup water and 3 TBSP butter for 4 servings). Microwave until water is hot and butter has melted, 1 minute. • Whisk in tomato paste until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
• Once flatbreads are toasted, remove sheet from oven. Evenly spread flatbreads with sauce, then top with mozzarella, Monterey Jack, sausage, and veggies. Season with salt and pepper. • Bake until cheese melts and flatbreads are golden brown, 3-5 minutes.
• Allow flatbreads to cool slightly, then slice into pieces. • Divide between plates and serve.
Pork Sausage is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 160°.