Rustic Farro & Pork Sausage Soup
Few things are more satisfying than a pot of hearty, soul-warming soup (aka the culinary equivalent of a cozy blanket). This one is chock full of goodness—that is to say crumbled pork sausage, aromatic veggies, Tuscan herbs and spices, and chewy farro. Of course, no soup would be complete without a cheesy topping—here, we sprinkle over savory Parmesan for melt-factor. Soup’s on!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Italian Pork Sausage
Tuscan Heat Spice
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry all produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrot into a small dice. Halve, peel, and finely chop onion. • Remove sausage* from casing; discard casing.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned, 4-6 minutes (it’ll finish cooking in the next step). • Meanwhile, dice tomato. Pick parsley leaves from stems; finely chop leaves.
• Add another drizzle of olive oil to pot with sausage; stir in carrot, onion, and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are just softened and sausage is cooked through, 5-7 minutes.
• Stir tomato, half the chopped parsley, half the Tuscan Heat Spice (use the rest as you like), and ½ cup farro (be sure to measure; we sent more) into pot with sausage mixture. (Use 1 cup farro for 4 servings.) Cook, stirring, 1 minute. • Stir in stock concentrates and 3½ cups warm water (6 cups for 4), scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pot. • Cover, bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until farro is tender, 25-30 minutes.
• Stir half the Parmesan (save the rest for serving) into soup. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Divide soup between bowls. Top with remaining Parmesan and chopped parsley and serve.