This dish is positively bursting with umami. Not sure if you’ve ever experienced the “fifth taste?” After one bite, you’ll understand the obsession. Ranch steak is seared to perfection, then draped in a supremely savory mushroom sauce. It’s served alongside crispy roasted potatoes and carrots (aka more things to dip in said sauce). Don’t be surprised if you suddenly mistake your dinner table for the corner booth at that swanky steakhouse downtown.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Beef Stock Concentrate
Yukon Gold Potatoes
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick pieces. Trim and thinly slice mushrooms. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. • 4 SERVINGS: Adjust racks to top and bottom positions.
• Toss potatoes on one side of a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil and Fry Seasoning; season generously with salt and pepper. Toss carrots on empty side with a large drizzle of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on top rack until golden brown and crispy, 20-25 minutes. • 4 SERVINGS: Divide between 2 baking sheets; roast potatoes on top rack and carrots on bottom rack.
• Meanwhile, heat a large drizzle of olive oil and 1 TBSP butter in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and slightly crisp, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • Turn off heat; transfer to a small bowl. Wipe out pan. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.
• Pat steak* dry with paper towels; season generously all over with salt and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in pan used for mushrooms over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook to desired doneness, 4-7 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer to a cutting board to rest. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of olive oil and 1 TBSP butter in same pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and scallion whites; cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Stir in ¼ cup water and stock concentrate; bring to a simmer. • Once simmering, stir in mushrooms and any resting juices from steak; cook until slightly thickened, 1-2 minutes. • Remove pan from heat. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter and 1/3 cup water.
• Slice steak against the grain. • Divide steak, potatoes, and carrots between plates. Spoon sauce over steak. Garnish with scallion greens and serve.