What are sweet potatoes doing in a fajita, you ask? Everything, we say! These tasty, vitamin-A-packing tubers are the perfect way to make Tex-Mex night meatless. After cutting them into thick wedges, you give them a dusting of warm spices and roast them in the oven until they’re tender as can be. And with the help of some seriously satisfying toppings—pickled jalapeño, sautéed onion and green pepper, tomato salsa, and lime sour cream—this recipe packs everything you could want inside the fold of a tortilla.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Southwest Spice Blend
Long Green Pepper
Pepper Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Cut sweet potatoes into ½-inch-thick wedges. Toss on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil and 1 tsp Southwest Spice (2 tsp for 4 servings). (Be sure to measure the Southwest Spice—we sent more.) Season with salt and pepper. • Roast on top rack until tender and lightly crisped, 25-30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, thinly slice jalapeño into rounds, removing ribs and seeds for less heat. Zest and quarter lime. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Dice a few slices until you have ¼ cup (½ cup for 4 servings). Halve, core, and thinly slice green pepper into strips. Dice tomato. Roughly chop cilantro.
• In a small bowl, combine jalapeño, juice from half the lime, ½ tsp sugar, and a big pinch of salt. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion and green pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly charred, 8-10 minutes. (TIP: Add a splash of water if veggies begin to brown too quickly.) Season with salt and pepper. Remove pan from heat.
• While veggies cook, in a second small bowl, combine tomato, cilantro, diced onion, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. • In a separate small bowl, combine sour cream, lime zest, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
• Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave until warm and pliable, 30 seconds. • Divide tortillas between plates and fill with sweet potatoes, veggies, pepper jack, salsa, lime sour cream, and as much pickled jalapeño (draining first) as you like. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.