Yucatan Citrus Chicken Bowls
with Poblano, Smoky Red Pepper Crema & Pickled Onion
Punchy, tangy citrus is a key ingredient in the Yucatan’s vibrant cuisine. There, lime and orange juices are often used to marinate pork and chicken, and also serve as pickling liquid for a tangy onion garnish. Tonight’s Yucatan-inspired marinade blends lime and mandarin orange juices with zesty spices, which not only adds savory, tangy notes to the finished dish—it also tenderizes the meat for juicy results. It’s served over spiced jasmine rice with sautéed poblano and onion, then drizzled with smoky red pepper crema. Lime-pickled onions and aromatic cilantro complete this truly SUPER bowl.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Breast Strips
Southwest Spice Blend
Smoky Red Pepper Crema
(Contains Milk, Soy)
Ancho Chili Powder
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry all produce. • Halve mandarin. Zest and quarter lime. Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Halve, core, and thinly slice poblano crosswise into strips. Roughly chop cilantro. • Pat chicken* dry with paper towels; place in a medium bowl. Toss with Tex-Mex paste, juice from whole mandarin, juice from 1 lime wedge (for 4 servings, add juice from both mandarins and 2 lime wedges), lime zest, and half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step).
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups water for 4 servings), remaining Southwest Spice, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine ¼ of the onion, juice from half the lime, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Microwave until onion is softened, 1 minute. Set aside. • In a separate small bowl, combine smoky red pepper crema and a pinch of salt. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add poblano and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. • Add another drizzle of oil and remaining onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until veggies are tender, 4-6 minutes. • Transfer to a plate.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly charred and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Add a pinch of chili powder to taste. Taste and season with salt and pepper. • Stir in cooked veggies, then remove pan from heat.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter and season with salt to taste. • Divide rice between bowls and top with chicken and veggie mixture, crema, and as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Sprinkle with cilantro. Cut remaining lime into wedges and serve on the side.