Sweet and savory is a combo we can always get behind (for dinner, dessert, and even snacks—hello, chocolate-covered potato chips). Here, these flatbreads have it all: a layer of tangy-sweet BBQ sauce, piles of pickled caramelized onions, poblano pepper, and juicy, lightly charred pineapple. Don’t worry, we didn’t forget the cheese! Melty mozzarella and Monterey Jack provide the ultimate cheese pull. Once you dig in, your taste buds will be sure to light up from the savory, sweet and cheesy combo.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Red Wine Vinegar
Monterey Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
• Place a foil-lined baking sheet on top rack (for 4 servings, two foil-lined sheets, on top and middle racks) and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Drain pineapple over a small bowl, reserving juice. Stir ¼ of the onion, half the vinegar (you’ll use the rest later), and a pinch of salt into bowl with juice. Set aside.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add remaining onion; cook, stirring and adding splashes of water as needed to prevent sticking, until softened, 6-8 minutes.
• While onion cooks, halve, core, and very thinly slice poblano into strips. Toss in a second small bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Dice mozzarella into ½-inch pieces. Finely chop cilantro.
• Once cooked onion is softened, increase heat under pan to medium high. Add pineapple and a drizzle of oil; cook, stirring, until pineapple is lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. • Stir in remaining vinegar. Cook, stirring, until onion and pineapple are caramelized and jammy, 1-2 minutes more. Turn off heat and season with salt and pepper.
• Brush or rub each flatbread with a drizzle of oil. Remove prepared baking sheet from oven; carefully place flatbreads on sheet. (For 4servings, divide flatbreads between both prepared sheets.) • Evenly spread flatbreads with BBQ sauce, then top with caramelized onion and pineapple, poblano, Monterey Jack, and mozzarella.
• Return flatbreads to top rack until cheese melts and edges are golden brown, 10-12 minutes. (For 4 servings, return to top and middle racks; swap rack positions halfway through baking.) • Transfer flatbreads to a cutting board and top with cilantro and pickled onion (draining first) to taste. Cut into pieces, divide between plates, and serve.