Blue corn tortillas are not only a snacking favorite, but trust our chefs here: they add the perfect crunch to any Southwest-inspired meal. This skillet dinner has a delicious mix of hearty beans, fried eggs, pickled onion, and Tex-Mex spiced blue corn tortilla chips. It’s all topped with gooey melted pepper jack and a drizzle of tangy lime crema all over. Are you ready to dig in?
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Southwest Spice Blend
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
Pepper Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice ¼ of the onion; finely dice remaining onion. Zest and quarter lime (for 4 servings, zest one lime and quarter both). Reserve a few tortilla chips for step 6.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from half the lime, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave until bright pink, 30-45 seconds. Carefully uncover and set aside. • In a separate small bowl, combine sour cream with lime zest to taste. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium pan (use a large pan for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Add diced onion and season with a pinch of salt; cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. • Add tomato paste, Southwest Spice, and Tex-Mex paste; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30-60 seconds.
• Add beans and their liquid and ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings) to pan with onion mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook until liquid has slightly reduced, 3-4 minutes. • Reduce heat to medium, then stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4) until melted. Add a squeeze of lime juice and ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4). • Stir in remaining tortilla chips until thoroughly coated and slightly softened, 1-2 minutes. TIP: Add a splash of water if needed. • Sprinkle with pepper jack, then cover pan until cheese melts, 1-2 minutes.
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a second medium, preferably nonstick, pan (use a large, preferably nonstick, pan for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Crack eggs* into pan and cover. Fry eggs to preference. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat.
• Top tortilla skillet with fried eggs and lime crema. Crumble reserved tortilla chips and sprinkle on top. Garnish with as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Serve straight from pan with any remaining lime wedges on the side.