Grain bowl–lovers, rejoice! This week, we’re serving up donburi, a Japanese rice bowl dish that can be endlessly customized with different proteins, veggies, and sauces. This version layers steamy scallion-lime rice with saucy broccoli and shredded carrots, plus perfectly fried eggs. Garnish with tangy pickled radishes and nutty sesame seeds, then finish with drizzles of sweet soy glaze and spicy sriracha. Prepare to be totally bowled over!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Soy Sauce(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
Sweet Soy Glaze(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
• Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and very thinly slice 2 radishes (all the radishes for 4 servings). Zest and quarter lime. Cut broccoli florets into bite-size pieces if necessary.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites; cook for 1 minute. • Stir in rice, 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a small microwave safe bowl, combine juice from half the lime, ½ tsp sugar (1 tsp for 4 servings), a pinch of salt and pepper, and a splash of water. • Stir in sliced radishes, then cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave for 1 minute. Carefully remove plastic wrap and stir again. Set aside to pickle until ready to serve.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, a pinch of salt and pepper, and a splash of water. Cover and steam for 3 minutes. • Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is browned and tender, 3-5 minutes more. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in half the soy sauce. • Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan. Add shredded carrots and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until just softened, 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in remaining soy sauce.
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Crack eggs* into pan and season with salt and pepper. (For 4 servings, you may want to cook eggs in batches.) Fry eggs to preference. Turn off heat.
• Pour sweet soy glaze into a second small microwave-safe bowl; microwave until warm, 30 seconds. • Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) and lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls and top each with broccoli, shredded carrots, and an egg. Drizzle with sweet soy glaze. Divide pickled radishes (draining first) between the centers of each bowl. Garnish with scallion greens, sesame seeds, and sriracha if desired. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.