Creamy Vegan Mushroom Stew
with Couscous, Kale & Rosemary
For us, it’s always time for a creamy, hearty stew—no matter the season. This vegan one-pot dinner idea will satisfy even diehard meat eaters. It starts with mushrooms dredged in flour so they cook up crisp and juicy, combined with savory onion, garlic and rosemary. Miso, veggie stock, balsamic vinegar, and mustard create a deeply flavored broth that’s swirled with coconut milk for a rich texture. Tender kale and springy couscous provide contrast, and a pinch of chili flakes adds just the right amount of heat.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Miso Sauce Concentrate
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Korean Chili Flakes
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Thinly slice mushrooms. (Skip this step if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!) Halve, peel, and dice onion into ¼-inch pieces. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Strip rosemary leaves from stems; finely chop leaves until you have 1 TBSP (2 TBSP for 4 servings). Remove and discard any large stems from kale; chop into bite-size pieces.
• In a medium bowl, toss mushrooms with flour until fully coated. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add coated mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until lightly browned on one side, 1-2 minutes.
• Add onion to pot with mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 3-4 minutes. • Stir in garlic and chopped rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
• Stir stock concentrates, miso sauce concentrate, coconut milk, mustard, half the vinegar (all for 4 servings), 1 cup water (2 cups for 4), and a pinch of chili flakes into pot with mushroom mixture. • Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 6-8 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if desired.
• Stir couscous into same pot. Cover and cook until couscous is almost tender, 5-6 minutes. • Uncover and stir in kale. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted and couscous is tender, 2-3 minutes more.
• Divide stew between bowls. Top each bowl with a drizzle of olive oil, pepper, and as many remaining chili flakes as you like. Serve.