Professional chef David knows a terrific taco comes down to the details: slaw tossed with pickled onion and cilantro, creamy guacamole with a hint of lime zest, and succulent shrimp seasoned with a curated blend of Mexican spices. These tacos also star a side of chunky salsa with tomato, corn, black beans, bell pepper, and jalapeño—perfect for dipping with blue corn tortilla chips. His husband Neil Patrick Harris gives this dish five stars, which can only mean one thing: When it comes to tacos, David knows best!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Shredded Red Cabbage
Rice Wine Vinegar
Mexican Spice Blend
Flour Tortillas(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion; finely dice remaining half. Zest one lime and quarter both (zest two and quarter four for 4 servings). Roughly chop cilantro. Dice tomatoes into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Halve, core, and chop half the bell pepper into 1⁄4-inch pieces (whole pepper for 4). Drain corn. Drain and rinse beans. Mince jalapeño, removing ribs and seeds for less heat.
• In a medium, microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from one lime (two limes for 4 servings), and 1⁄2 tsp sugar (1 tsp for 4). Microwave until onion is bright pink, 30 seconds. Let cool slightly. • Stir in cabbage, half the sour cream, and half the cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
• In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, diced onion, bell pepper, vinegar, half the corn, half the beans, remaining cilantro, 2 TBSP olive oil, 1 tsp Mexican Spice Blend (you’ll use the rest later), juice from one lime, and as much jalapeño as you like. (For 4 servings, use all the corn, all the beans, 3 TBSP olive oil, 2 tsp Mexican Spice Blend, and juice from two limes.) • Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• In a small bowl, combine guacamole, remaining sour cream, and half the lime zest (you’ll use the rest in the next step). Season with salt and pepper.
• Rinse shrimp* under cold water, then pat dry with paper towels. Season all over with remaining Mexican Spice Blend, salt, and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over high heat. Once pan is hot, add shrimp and cook, stirring occasionally, until opaque and cooked through, 3-4 minutes. • Remove pan from heat; add remaining lime zest and toss until shrimp are evenly coated.
• Wrap tortillas in damp paper towels and microwave until warm and pliable, 30 seconds. • Divide tortillas between plates; fill with slaw and shrimp. Top tacos with creamy guacamole. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa on the side.