This recipe is here to blow up everything you think you know about meatballs. All dramatics aside, these meatballs are truly game-changing thanks to a certain special sauce. What exactly is “firecracker,” you ask? Well, mystery asker, it’s a creamy, spicy, sweet, and savory (yes, all those things!) sauce that’s so good, it’ll make your taste buds explode! Once the meatballs are baked, they’re tossed in the magical condiment, then plated atop rice along with crispy roasted green beans (AKA more things to dip in the sauce). Don’t be surprised when you find yourself swiping up every last drop.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Kikkoman® Traditionally Brewed Soy Sauce(ContainsSoy, Wheat)
• Adjust rack to top position (middle and top positions for 4 servings) and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens; mince whites. Peel and mince ginger.
• In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, honey, 2 tsp soy sauce (4 tsp for 4 servings), and Sriracha to taste. (You’ll use the rest of the soy sauce later.) Set aside.
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a second large bowl, combine beef*, panko, scallion whites, ginger, remaining soy sauce, salt (we used ½ tsp; 1 tsp for 4 servings), and pepper. • Form into 10-12 (20-24 for 4) 1½-inch meatballs.
• Place meatballs on one side of a lightly oiled baking sheet. • Toss green beans on empty side with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. (For 4 servings, divide between 2 sheets; roast meatballs on middle rack and green beans on top rack.) • Roast on top rack until meatballs are cooked through and green beans are browned and tender, 14-16 minutes.
• Fluff rice with a fork; season with salt and pepper. • Carefully add meatballs to bowl with sauce; toss to coat. • Divide rice between bowls or plates. Top with meatballs and drizzle with any remaining sauce. Serve green beans on the side. Garnish with scallion greens.