Prepare to be bowl-ed over—this hearty dish is the twist on steak night we didn’t know we needed—until now. Middle Eastern spices add aromatic flavor not only to steak, basmati rice, and a bounty of roasted veggies (think zucchini, onion, and tomato). Everything’s drizzled with a creamy, lemony yogurt sauce for cooling balance, plus toasted almonds for crunch. Bowl-in-one? We think so.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Middle Eastern Spiced Steak
Shawarma Spice Blend
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and halve zucchini lengthwise; cut crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons. Halve, peel, and cut onion into ½-inch-thick wedges; mince a few wedges until you have 2 TBSP. Cut tomato into 6 wedges. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lemon. • 4 SERVINGS: Mince a few onion wedges until you have 4 TBSP. Zest 1 lemon and quarter both.
• Toss zucchini, onion wedges, and tomato on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil, 1 tsp Shawarma Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step), salt, and pepper. • Roast, tossing halfway through, until veggies are tender, 20-25 minutes. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 tsp Shawarma Spice.
• Meanwhile, melt 1 TBSP butter in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add minced onion, scallion whites, remaining Shawarma Spice, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter, a medium pot, and 1½ cups water.
• While rice cooks, add almonds to a large, dry pan; heat over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until golden brown and toasted, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer almonds to a small bowl. • In a separate small bowl, combine yogurt, sour cream, ¼ tsp sugar, and ¼ tsp garlic powder (add more if desired). Add as much lemon zest as you like. Season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use ½ tsp sugar and ½ tsp garlic powder.
• Season steak* with salt and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of olive oil in pan used for almonds over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook to desired doneness, 4-7 minutes per side. Turn off heat. • Transfer steak to a cutting board. Let rest at least 5 minutes.
• Fluff rice with a fork. Season with salt and pepper; stir in half the almonds and half the scallion greens. Slice steak against the grain. • Divide rice between bowls. Top with veggies and sliced steak. Dollop with yogurt sauce and sprinkle with remaining almonds and scallion greens. Serve with lemon wedges on the side.