One of our favorite ways to eat our veggies? Giving them the tempura treatment! Coating them in the light, airy batter before frying yields addictively crispy, golden results you just can’t get any other way. Here, you’ll whip up tempura mushrooms and zucchini, then pile into rice bowls with tangy pickled cucumber, sesame seeds, and chili flakes. It’s all drizzled with chili mayo for creamy, spicy contrast.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Rice Wine Vinegar
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
Tempura Mix(ContainsEggs, Milk, Wheat)
Korean Chili Flakes
• Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and halve cucumber lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise into half-moons. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Trim and slice zucchini into ½-inch-thick rounds. Trim mushrooms; halve any large mushrooms (you’ll want them all about the same size).
• In a small bowl, combine cucumber, vinegar, ½ tsp sugar, and a pinch of salt. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve. • In a separate small bowl, combine chili sauce with mayonnaise. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1 tsp sugar.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and half the sesame seeds (save the rest for serving). Cook, stirring, until sesame seeds are lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes. • Stir in rice, 1¼ cups water, and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2¼ cups water.
• While rice cooks, heat a 1 ⁄3-inch layer of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine tempura mix, half the garlic powder, 1⁄3 cup cold water, and salt (we used ½ tsp kosher salt). • Pat zucchini and mushrooms very dry with paper towels, then stir into batter until fully coated. • 4 SERVINGS: Use all the garlic powder, 2/3 cup water, and 1 tsp kosher salt. • TIP: If mixture is too thick, add more water 1 TBSP at a time until it reaches a pancake-batter-like consistency.
• Once oil is shimmering and hot enough that a drop of batter sizzles when added to the pan, working in batches, add coated veggies in a single layer. Cook, turning with tongs, until golden brown. • For zucchini, cook 2-3 minutes on the first side and 1-2 minutes on the second side. Cook mushrooms for the same amount of total time as zucchini, turning a few times, until browned all over. • Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate and immediately season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Fry veggies in batches.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in 1 TBSP butter and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between shallow bowls; top with tempura veggies and pickled cucumber (draining first). Garnish with scallion greens, remaining sesame seeds, and some chili flakes. Serve with sauce on the side for dipping. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.