Penne with Pork Meatballs
in a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
If you’re mad for mushrooms, a fan of fungi, or bonkers for buttons, this pasta will treat you right because it’s loaded with ’shrooms! They’re the backbone of this recipe, bringing all those deep, earthy flavors that you know and love. We’ve added penne, Italian-spiced pork meatballs, a creamy sauce, and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese (mushrooms, pasta, and dairy are pretty much best friends, after all). Get ready for this umami bomb to hit your dinner table.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and thinly slice mushrooms. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel and mince or grate garlic.
• Once water is boiling, add penne to pot. Cook until al dente, 9-11 minutes. • Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water, then drain.
• While pasta cooks, in a medium bowl, combine pork*, panko, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning (2 tsp for 4 servings), 1 TBSP plain water (2 TBSP for 4), salt (we used ½ tsp), and pepper. (We used 1 tsp salt for 4.) (Be sure to measure the Italian Seasoning; we sent more.) • Form into 1-inch meatballs.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add meatballs and cook, turning occasionally, until browned all over and cooked through, 12-14 minutes. TIP: Lower heat if meatballs begin to brown too quickly. • Turn off heat; remove from pan and set aside. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, scallion whites, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened, 2-4 minutes. • Stir in sour cream, cream cheese, stock concentrate, ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings), and 2 TBSP butter (3 TBSP for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat. Season with salt and pepper.
• Add drained penne and meatballs to pan with sauce; toss to coat. (For 4 servings, if your pan isn’t large enough, carefully pour everything back into empty pasta pot.) If needed, stir in more reserved pasta cooking water a splash at a time until penne is coated in a creamy sauce. • Divide pasta between bowls; top with Parmesan and scallion greens. Sprinkle with chili flakes to taste and serve.