South-of-the-Border Beef Taco Salad
with Pickled Onion, Avocado Dressing & Lime Crema
Looking to spice up dinner? Let’s give ‘em something to taco-bout! This taco salad’s got all the textures and flavors you’d expect from your fave Tex-Mex joint: crisp lettuce, spiced beef, onion, and tomato. But, it’s also got a little something extra. We’re talking pickled red onion, a zesty avocado dressing, lime crema, and blue corn tortilla chips for dipping, scooping, and crushing over top. Going the extra mile is just our style!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
Southwest Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion; finely chop remaining. Zest and quarter lime. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Trim and discard root end from lettuce; halve lengthwise, then chop crosswise into 1-inch ribbons. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces. Gently crush tortilla chips in their bag into small pieces.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from two lime wedges, ½ tsp sugar, 1 TBSP water, and a pinch of salt (for 4 servings, use juice from four lime wedges, 1 tsp sugar, 2 TBSP water, and 2 pinches of salt). Microwave until onion is softened, 30 seconds. Set aside to pickle; stirring occasionally.
• In a large bowl, combine guacamole, half the lime zest, juice from one lime wedge (two wedges for 4 servings), 1 TBSP olive oil (2 TBSP for 4), and a pinch of garlic. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a thick drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a second small bowl, combine sour cream and remaining lime zest. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion; cook, stirring, until slightly softened, 2-3 minutes. • Add beef*, Southwest Spice, remaining garlic, ¾ tsp salt (1½ tsp for 4 servings), and pepper. Cook, breaking meat up into pieces, until almost cooked through, 3-5 minutes. • Add hot sauce and ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4). Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until liquid has absorbed and beef is cooked through, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Add lettuce to bowl with dressing. Toss until thoroughly coated. • Divide salad between bowls. Top with beef (draining excess grease if necessary), tomato, pickled onion (draining first), and tortilla chips. Drizzle crema over top and serve.