Steakhouse Mushroom Kale Salad
with Kale, Bell Pepper, Tomato & Horseradish Dressing
Talk about Meatless Monday! (Or Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday... you get the picture.) This hearty mushroom and kale salad gives us steakhouse vibes in a delicious, vegetable-forward way. Button mushrooms are marinated and cooked with soy sauce, vinegar, and our Bold & Savory Steak Spice for maximum flavor. Quick-pickled shallots add tangy-sweet pops throughout while creamy horseradish dressing provides a punchy, steakhouse-worthy finishing touch.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Green Bell Pepper
Bold & Savory Steak Spice
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Remove and discard any large stems from kale; roughly chop into bite-size pieces. Trim and quarter mushrooms. Halve, peel, and thinly slice shallot. Halve, core, and thinly slice bell pepper into strips. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces. • Place kale in a large bowl. Add a drizzle of oil and lightly season with salt. Using your hands, massage kale until leaves are tender, 30-60 seconds. TIP: Don’t skip this step—massaging helps the kale leaves wilt slightly, lending a tender (never fibrous!) texture.
• Using a rolling pin or heavy-bottomed pan, crush peppercorns inside Steak Spice packet. • In a medium bowl, combine mushrooms, garlic powder, half the Steak Spice, half the soy sauce, half the vinegar, 1 TBSP olive oil, and ¼ tsp salt. (For 4 servings, use all the Steak Spice, all the soy sauce, 2 TBSP olive oil, and ½ tsp salt.) Set aside to marinate until step 4. • In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine shallot, remaining vinegar, ½ tsp sugar (1 tsp for 4), and a pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 25 seconds. Drain liquid; transfer shallot to a plate. Wipe out bowl.
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • Turn off heat; transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and marinade; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 5-7 minutes. TIP: If mushrooms start to brown too quickly, reduce heat to medium and cook for 6-8 minutes. • Stir in ¼ cup water. Cook until liquid has evaporated and mushrooms are soft, 1-2 minutes. • Turn off heat; stir in 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) until melted.
• In bowl used for shallot, whisk together horseradish sauce, yogurt, and mayonnaise. Season with salt and pepper. TIP: If dressing seems too thick, stir in a splash of water. • Add tomato and half the mushrooms to bowl with kale. Toss salad with as much dressing as you like (save any remaining for serving if desired) until evenly coated.
• Divide salad between bowls. Top with bell pepper, pickled shallot, and remaining mushrooms. Serve with any remaining dressing on the side.