Our chefs can’t get enough of the warming, aromatic flavors of shawarma. Here, chicken is marinated in shawarma spices and yogurt, then cooked until golden and tender. It’s piled into bowls with zesty, pistachio-studded basmati rice, sautéed bell pepper, and a creamy cilantro sauce for drizzling. It really doesn’t get much better than digging into all that.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Chicken Breast Strips
Shawarma Spice Blend
• Wash and dry all produce. • Core, deseed, and dice bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Finely chop cilantro. Zest and quarter lemon. Peel and mince garlic. Roughly chop pistachios. • Place chicken* in a medium bowl and pat dry with paper towels. Toss with yogurt, Shawarma Spice, ¾ of the garlic, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Set aside to marinate.
• In a small pot, combine rice, ¾ cup water (1¼ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add bell pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7-10 minutes. TIP: If needed, add splashes of water to help pepper soften. • Turn off heat; remove from pan and set aside. Wash out pan.
• While bell pepper cooks, in a small bowl, combine sour cream, half the cilantro, half the lemon zest, remaining garlic, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for bell pepper over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. • Stir in bell pepper, then remove pan from heat. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in pistachios, remaining lemon zest, and a pinch of salt. TIP: For extra-rich rice, stir in 1 TBSP butter. • Divide rice between bowls and top with chicken mixture. Drizzle with creamy cilantro sauce and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.