Everything’s bigger in Texas and this salad is no exception. Our chefs pulled out all the colors and deliciousness for this hearty dinner! Red shines through with tomato and pickled red onion, you’ll get some yellow with crumbled pepper Jack frico on top. Green comes in with fresh, crisp romaine lettuce, and a dressing that includes cilantro and lime zest. Tex Mex-spiced black beans add a pop of protein and flavor. Pull up ‘yer boot straps... and a chair!
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Baby Romaine Lettuce
Pepper Jack Cheese(ContainsMilk)
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing(ContainsMilk, Eggs)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion (all for 4 servings). Zest and quarter lime. Finely chop cilantro. Trim and discard root end from lettuce; thinly slice leaves crosswise into strips until you have 4 cups (8 cups for 4); halve strips crosswise. Dice tomato into ½-inch pieces.
• In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, juice from half the lime, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Microwave until onion is softened, 30 seconds. Set aside, tossing occasionally.
• Lightly oil a baking sheet. Sprinkle pepper jack into two 4-inch-wide circles (four circles for 4 servings) directly on sheet. • Bake on top rack until golden brown, 5-7 minutes. Let frico cool until crispy, then transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. TIP: Keep a close eye on frico to avoid burning.
• Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans; gently pat dry with paper towels. • In a medium bowl, combine beans, half the Tex-Mex paste (all for 4 servings), half the cilantro, half the lime zest, half the cumin (all for 4), and a big squeeze of lime juice. Season with salt.
• In a second small bowl, combine ranch dressing, sour cream, remaining cilantro, remaining lime zest, and 1½ tsp pickling liquid (3 tsp for 4 servings). (TIP: If dressing seems too thick, add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency.) Season with salt and pepper.
• In a large bowl, toss lettuce and tomato with as much dressing as you like. Add half the bean mixture and half the pickled onion (draining first); toss to combine. • Divide salad between plates; top with remaining bean mixture and pickled onion. Crumble frico over top. Serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.