Vegan Guac Lover’s Burrito Bowl
With Black Beans, Spiced Mushrooms & Tortilla Chips
This vegan dinner idea has it all, in fact—it’s a burrito bowl bonanza! You’ll top golden turmeric rice with hearty sautéed Mexican spiced mushrooms and saucy, garlicky black beans. Next comes a tangy tangle of pickled onion, a big drizzle of creamy guacamole sauce, a sprinkle of fresh cilantro, and crispy blue tortilla chips on the side for dippin’ and scoopin’. Burrito bowl-lovers: your time has come!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
White Wine Vinegar
Mexican Spice Blend
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice half the onion; dice remaining half. Cut onion slices in half crosswise. Zest and quarter lime. Roughly chop cilantro. Thinly slice mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!).
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add ½ tsp turmeric (1 tsp for 4 servings); cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. (Be sure to measure the turmeric; we sent more.) • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Meanwhile, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sliced onion, half the vinegar, ¼ tsp sugar, and a pinch of salt (use all the vinegar and ½ tsp sugar for 4 servings). Cover with plastic wrap; microwave 30 seconds. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally.
• In a second small bowl (medium bowl for 4 servings), combine guacamole, half the cilantro, juice from one lime wedge (juice from two lime wedges for 4), a drizzle of olive oil, and as much lime zest as you like. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a thick drizzling consistency. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms in an even layer and cook, undisturbed, until lightly browned on one side, 2-3 minutes. TIP: Add another drizzle of oil if pan looks dry. • Add half the Mexican Spice Blend (you’ll use the rest later), salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and crisp, 3-4 minutes more. Turn off heat; transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
• Heat a large drizzle of oil in same pan over medium heat. Add diced onion, half the garlic powder (all for 4 servings), remaining Mexican Spice Blend, and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. • Add beans and their liquid; cook, stirring, until liquid is mostly absorbed and beans are saucy, 2-3 minutes more. Remove from heat; taste and season generously with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls. Top with mushrooms and beans in separate sections. Add pickled onion (draining first) in a pile. Drizzle with guacamole sauce and sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Serve with tortilla chips and remaining lime wedges on the side.