Vegan Mushroom & White Bean Shepherd's Pie
with Panko-Topped Mashed Potatoes
Shepherd’s pie is best known as a meaty, stick-to-your-ribs kind of dish. Our spin on this classic turns to mushrooms and creamy white beans for a vegan variation that’s equally hearty. Rounded out with peas, carrots, and a blanket of thyme-flecked mashed potatoes sprinkled with a crunchy golden panko topping, it’s a delicious mix of our favorite comforting flavors packed into one perfectly pleasing, ultra-savory pie.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Dice potatoes into ½-inch pieces. Place in a large pot with enough salted water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, 10-12 minutes. Reserve ½ cup potato cooking liquid, then drain and return potatoes to pot. • Keep covered off heat until ready to mash.
• While potatoes cook, trim and roughly chop mushrooms (skip if your mushrooms are pre-sliced!). Trim, peel, and cut carrots lengthwise, then cut into ¼-inch-thick half-moons. Halve, peel, and dice half the onion (whole onion for 4 servings).
• Heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a medium, preferably ovenproof, pan over medium-high heat (use a large, preferably ovenproof, pan for 4 servings). Add mushrooms, carrots, onion, and ½ tsp salt (1 tsp for 4). Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
• Reduce heat under pan to low. Add a drizzle of olive oil, flour, garlic powder, and half the thyme (all for 4 servings) to veggies. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until incorporated, 1 minute. • Add ¾ cup water (1 cup for 4 servings), veggie stock concentrates, mushroom stock concentrate, beans and their liquid, and peas, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of pan. • Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, 2-3 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. TIP: If your pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer mixture to a baking dish now.
• Heat broiler to high. • Add mayonnaise to pot with potatoes and mash until smooth, adding splashes of reserved potato cooking liquid as needed. Season with salt and pepper.
• In a small bowl, mix together panko, a drizzle of olive oil, and a pinch of salt. • Once filling has thickened, spoon mashed potatoes over top; spread into an even layer, leaving a 1-inch border around edge of pan. • Sprinkle mashed potatoes with panko mixture.
• Broil shepherd’s pie until panko topping is lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. TIP: Watch carefully to avoid burning. • Let rest at least 5 minutes, then divide between plates and serve.