Vegan Spicy Lemon Maple Tofu
with Roasted Broccoli & Rice
If you’ve ever wondered how to get your tofu as crisp and golden brown as the restaurants do, now’s your chance—it’s all about the drying and the dredging! Give your tofu the royal treatment, then sear it for crisp, pillowy cubes that are ready to absorb tons of flavor. You’ll coat the tofu in a glossy lemon and garlic sauce rich with mushroom and vegetable stock, a touch of heat from chili flakes, and a kiss of sweetness from maple syrup. Serve it over a bowl of fluffy rice alongside crisp roasted broccoli for pops of green on the plate. Aren’t you soy happy you picked this meal?
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Cut broccoli into bite-size pieces if necessary. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Zest and quarter lemon. • Open and drain tofu; press out excess water with paper towels. Halve crosswise, then stand tofu upright and halve vertically. Lay flat and cut into ½-inch cubes.
• In a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, toss broccoli on a baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. Roast on middle rack until tender and lightly browned, 10-12 minutes.
• Place tofu in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add half the cornstarch and toss until evenly coated. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu in a single layer and cook until golden and crispy, 1-3 minutes per side. (For 4 servings, you may need to work in batches, adding another drizzle of oil per batch.) Turn off heat; transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Wipe out pan.
• In a small bowl, whisk together remaining cornstarch and 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4 servings). • Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for tofu over medium-low heat. Add garlic and a pinch of chili flakes; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. • Whisk in cornstarch mixture, maple syrup, veggie stock concentrate, mushroom stock concentrate, and juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4). Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 2-3 minutes (if sauce seems too thick, add splashes of water). Remove from heat. • Return fried tofu to pan and toss until coated in sauce.
• Divide rice between bowls; top with broccoli and tofu in separate sections. • Top broccoli with a pinch of lemon zest and sprinkle tofu with as many remaining chili flakes as you like. Serve with remaining lemon wedges if desired.