Vegan Street Cart-Style Chickpea Bowls
with Yellow Rice, Garlicky Hummus Sauce & Pitas
Good news! There’s no need for a special trip to NYC to enjoy the fantastic flavors of a street cart-style bowl. Our chefs dreamed up this fab vegan version. Fragrant turmeric rice with crunchy almonds and scallions, shawarma-spiced chickpeas, Israeli-style cucumber-tomato salad, and TWO sauces—drizzly hummus and perky hot sauce—all served with warmed pita bread. Now, time to perfect your dipping technique for the optimal saucy and flavor-packed bite.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Shawarma Spice Blend
(Contains Sesame, Wheat)
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in ¼ tsp turmeric (½ tsp for 4 servings) until combined. • Stir in rice, one of the stock concentrates (two for 4), 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4), a big pinch of salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to use in Step 5.
• Wash and dry produce. • Quarter lemon. Dice tomato. Quarter cucumber lengthwise; slice into ½-inch-thick quarter-moons. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens.
• In a small bowl, combine hummus, 1 TBSP olive oil, ½ tsp garlic powder (you’ll use more later), and juice from one lemon wedge (2 TBSP olive oil, 1 tsp garlic powder, and juice from two lemon wedges for 4 servings). Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper. • In a separate small bowl (medium bowl for 4), combine tomato, cucumber, half the scallion greens, juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4), a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, half the Shawarma Spice Blend (all for 4 servings), 1 tsp garlic powder (2 tsp for 4), salt, and pepper. (You’ll use the rest of the garlic powder in the next step.) Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in chickpeas and their liquid and remaining stock concentrates. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chickpeas are glazed and liquid has mostly evaporated, 4-6 minutes. • Remove pan from heat. Stir in a squeeze of lemon juice; season with salt and pepper to taste.
• While chickpeas cook, brush pitas all over with a drizzle of olive oil; season with remaining garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and toast on top rack until softened and warmed through, 3-4 minutes. Cut pitas into four wedges each. • Fluff rice with a fork; stir in almonds and remaining scallion greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Divide rice between bowls. Top with chickpeas and salad in separate sections. Drizzle bowls with hummus sauce and hot sauce to taste. Serve with pitas and any remaining lemon wedges on the side. TIP: If you like, scoop up some of the rice, chickpeas, veggies, and sauces with the pita and eat it all in one bite!