Combining tender meat, crunchy pickled veggies, fresh cilantro, spicy chilies, and creamy spreads, the Vietnamese banh mi is one of our all-time favorite sandwiches. Here, we take all those same flavors and textures and channel them into some seriously delicious rice bowls. Beef meatballs are infused with citrusy ponzu, then roasted until tender and tossed in a spicy sweet soy and chili glaze. They’re piled over ginger rice with a pickled cucumber and carrot salad, creamy chili lime mayo, and aromatic cilantro. Prepare to be bowled over!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Ponzu Sauce(ContainsWheat, Fish, Soy)
Sweet Soy Glaze(ContainsWheat, Soy)
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Peel and mince or grate ginger. Peel and mince garlic. Trim and halve cucumber lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise into half-moons. Zest and quarter lime (for 4 servings, zest 1 lime and quarter both). Finely chop cilantro.
• Melt 1 TBSP butter (2 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add half the ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Stir in rice, ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• While rice cooks, in a large bowl, combine beef *, panko, ponzu, garlic, remaining ginger, salt (we used ¾ tsp), and pepper. (Use 1½ tsp salt for 4 servings.) • Form mixture into 10-12 meatballs (20- 24 meatballs for 4). Place meatballs on a lightly oiled baking sheet. • Roast on top rack until browned and cooked through, 14-16 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cucumber, carrots, half the cilantro, and as much lime juice and lime zest as you like. Season with salt and pepper. • In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, a squeeze of lime juice, and up to half the sriracha to taste (save the rest for the next step).
• In a second large bowl, combine sweet soy glaze with remaining sriracha to taste. • Once meatballs are done, carefully transfer to bowl with sauce; toss until meatballs are thoroughly coated and sauce is just warmed through.
• Fluff rice with a fork and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between bowls and top with meatballs, any remaining sauce from bowl, and pickled veggie salad. Drizzle with sriracha lime mayo. Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with any remaining lime wedges on the side.