Chicken Taco Salad
with Pickled Onion, Fajita Veggies & Creamy Chipotle Vinaigrette
Let's taco-bout the beauty of a taco salad. It’s filled with all the textures: crisp lettuce, meaty protein, tender veggies, creamy dressing, and crunchy chips. Well, this one won’t disappoint. Romaine is topped with seared chicken, spiced bell pepper and onion, fresh tomato, tangy pickled onion, and then sprinkled with crushed tortilla chips. That’s all drizzled with a creamy chipotle vinaigrette. This is one spec-taco-lar salad.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Green Bell Pepper
Southwest Spice Blend
Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
(Contains Eggs, Milk)
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry all produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Zest and quarter lime (for 4 servings, zest one lime and quarter both). Core, deseed, and thinly slice bell pepper. Trim and discard root end from lettuce; chop leaves into bite-size pieces until you have 4 cups (8 cups for 4). Finely dice tomato. • In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine ¼ of the onion, juice from half the lime, ½ tsp sugar, 1 TBSP water, and salt. (For 4 servings, use 1 tsp sugar and 2 TBSP water.) Stir until sugar and salt are mostly dissolved. Microwave for 30 seconds. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 2-3 minutes. • Add remaining onion; season with half the Southwest Spice (you’ll use the rest in the next step), salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly tender, 4-5 minutes.
• While veggies cook, pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season all over with remaining Southwest Spice, salt, and pepper. • Once onion is slightly tender, push veggies to one side of pan. Add another drizzle of oil to empty side, then add chicken; cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. Remove pan from heat. • Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest.
• In a second small bowl, whisk together sour cream, ranch dressing, a squeeze of lime juice, ¼ tsp sugar (½ tsp for 4 servings), a pinch of chipotle powder to taste, and a pinch of lime zest to taste. Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• In a large bowl, toss together chopped lettuce, tomato, and half the dressing (save the rest for serving). Season with a big pinch of salt and pepper.
• Thinly slice chicken crosswise. (Alternatively, dice into 1-inch pieces.) • Divide salad between plates or large bowls; top with fajita veggies, chicken, and as much pickled onion (draining first) as you like. Drizzle with remaining dressing to taste. Crush tortilla chips and garnish with as many crushed tortilla chips as you like. TIP: Drizzle bowls with hot sauce from your pantry if you want a spicy kick!