In the HF Kitchen, we’re pretty obsessed with grilling cheese—it has the ultimate ability to fry on the outside, and get all melty on the inside. For tonight’s edition of the Grilling Cheese Fan Club, we’re coating the cheese in Italian spices before pan-searing. On the side, you’ll make a lemony couscous with sautéed kale and grape tomatoes. Get ready for one beautiful and delicious veg-masterpiece.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and thinly slice onion. Remove and discard any large stems from half the kale (all for 4 servings); chop into bite-size pieces. Halve grape tomatoes lengthwise. Peel and mince garlic. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. • Once onion is softened, add ¼ cup water (1⁄3 cup for 4 servings) and 1 tsp sugar. Cook, stirring, until onion is caramelized and jammy, 2-3 minutes more. • Add another drizzle of oil and chopped kale. Cook, stirring, until kale is wilted and tender, 5-7 minutes. • Add tomatoes and cook until just softened, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off heat; transfer veggies to a large bowl. Wipe out pan.
• While veggies cook, heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add couscous, garlic, and half the Italian Seasoning (you’ll use the rest in the next step). Cook, stirring, until couscous is lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes. • Add ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings) and stock concentrate. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cover. Cook until couscous is tender, 6-8 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to use in step 5.
• While couscous cooks, slice grilling cheese into four pieces (eight pieces for 4 servings). • Place remaining Italian Seasoning on a plate. Coat cheese in seasoning, pressing to adhere. • Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for veggies over medium-high heat. Add cheese and cook until browned, 1-2 minutes per side.
• Transfer veggies to pot with couscous. Stir in lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper. TIP: Reheat couscous over medium-low heat if needed.
• Divide couscous mixture between plates. Top with grilling cheese. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.