Plant-Based Beyond Baked Penne
Made for Meat-Lovers; Made from Plants
No matter the weather, it’s pretty much impossible not to daydream about cheesy baked carbs. This killer casserole is guaranteed to make those dreams a reality. It all starts with a hearty, plant-based sauce: Beyond Burger patties are crumbled and crisped in a pan, then stirred into creamy marinara along with spinach and tender bites of penne. To top things off, there’s a crispy layer of toasty panko and melty mozzarella. Serve it right from the pan for maximum cheese pull potential and wait for the oohs and aahs from your lucky fellow diners.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Cream Sauce Base
Not included in your delivery
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry all produce. • In a small bowl, combine panko, mozzarella, and 1 TBSP olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP olive oil.
• Once water is boiling, add penne to pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until al dente, 9-11 minutes. • Reserve ½ cup pasta cooking water, then drain.
• While pasta cooks, heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large, preferably ovenproof, pan over medium-high heat. • Add patties* and Italian Seasoning; cook, breaking up patties into pieces, until browned and slightly crispy, 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • Adjust rack to top position and heat broiler to high.
• Stir marinara, cream sauce base, cream cheese, and 1 TBSP butter into pan. Add chili flakes to taste. Bring to a simmer. • Stir in spinach (do so in batches, allowing spinach to wilt slightly before adding more). Cook, stirring, until spinach has wilted, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 2 TBSP butter.
• Stir penne and ¼ cup reserved pasta cooking water into pan. Taste and season with salt and pepper. • Evenly sprinkle pasta with panko mixture. • 4 SERVINGS: Stir in ½ cup reserved pasta cooking water. If the pan feels too crowded, carefully pour everything into pot used for pasta; transfer mixture back to ovenproof pan before broiling or baking. • TIP: If your pan isn’t ovenproof, transfer pasta to a baking dish before sprinkling with panko mixture.
• Broil pasta on top rack until panko is golden brown, 2-3 minutes (watch carefully to avoid burning). • Divide between plates and serve.