Scallops over Truffled Mushroom Risotto
with a Brown Butter Herb Sauce
Talk about a powerhouse: Every element of this recipe goes above and beyond in fitting in as much lush, decadent flavor as can be contained on a plate. It starts with scallops, pan-seared until they’re gloriously golden and tender. They’re perched on top of a mushroom risotto, which has some seriously luxurious overtones thanks to the addition of truffle oil. A drizzle of brown butter sauce ties everything together in nutty, rich splendor—one bite, and you’ll be captivated.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Chicken Stock Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Bring 4 cups water (7 cups for 4 servings) and stock concentrates to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, reduce to a low simmer (you’ll use the simmering stock in the next step). • Wash and dry all produce. Peel and slice garlic as thinly as possible. Halve, peel, and mince shallot.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot. Cook, stirring, until softened, 1 minute. • Add rice; stir until translucent, 1-2 minutes. • Add ½ cup stock; stir until liquid has mostly absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock—adding ½ cup at a time and stirring until liquid has mostly absorbed—until rice is al dente and mixture is creamy, 25-30 minutes. TIP: Depending on the size of your pan, you may need a little more or a little less liquid.
• While risotto cooks, trim and slice mushrooms into ¼-inch-thick pieces. Pick parsley leaves from stems; roughly chop leaves. Zest and quarter lemon. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a second large pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until browned and crisp, 6-8 minutes. • Turn off heat; remove from pan and set aside. Wipe out pan.
• While mushrooms cook, pat scallops* dry with paper towels and season generously all over with salt and pepper. • Once mushrooms are done, heat a large drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; remove from pan and set aside, covered. Wipe out pan.
• Melt 2 TBSP butter (3 TBSP for 4 servings) in same pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until foamy and flecked with amber brown bits, 2-4 minutes. Stir in half the chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Immediately transfer to a small bowl. • Once risotto is done, stir in mushrooms, Parmesan, 1 TBSP plain butter, a squeeze of lemon juice, and lemon zest and truffle oil to taste.
• Season risotto with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice to taste. • Divide risotto between bowls; top with scallops. Drizzle with as much brown butter as you like and any remaining truffle oil to taste. Garnish with remaining chopped parsley. Serve with any remaining lemon wedges on the side.