One of the most underrated childhood comfort foods, in our opinion? The humble sloppy Joe. Adults and kids alike will love this version, which has a few flavor upgrades to take it to the next level. Ground pork is browned with scallions, spicy chipotle powder, and a sweet and smoky BBQ seasoning blend, then simmered with mango, ketchup, and lime juice until thick and caramelized. The filling’s then stuffed into potato buns with a cabbage and lime slaw for creaminess and crunch. Tasty nostalgia on the table in just 15 minutes? It doesn’t get much better than that.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Potato Buns(ContainsEggs, Soy, Wheat, Milk)
Sweet and Smoky BBQ Seasoning
• Wash and dry all produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lime. Drain mango over a small bowl, reserving 2 TBSP juice (4 TBSP for 4 servings).
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add pork* and a big pinch of salt; cook, breaking up meat into pieces, until browned, 3-5 minutes (it’ll finish cooking in step 5). TIP: If there’s excess grease in your pan, carefully pour it out.
• Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine coleslaw, scallion greens, mayonnaise, lime zest, 1 TBSP reserved mango juice (2 TBSP for 4 servings), and a big squeeze of lime juice until thoroughly combined. Season generously with salt and pepper. • Halve buns; toast if desired.
• Add scallion whites, BBQ Seasoning, and ¼ tsp chipotle powder (add more if you like things spicy) to pan with pork. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 1 minute.
• Add mango, ketchup, half the cornstarch (all for 4 servings), remaining reserved mango juice, 1⁄3 cup water (½ cup for 4), and a big squeeze of lime juice to pan with pork mixture. Simmer, stirring, until mixture has thickened and pork is cooked through, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat. Season generously with salt and pepper if desired.
• Divide pork filling and slaw between buns. Divide sloppy joes between plates. Serve with any remaining slaw and lime wedges on the side.