Spicy Korean Fried Chicken
with Omsom Bulgogi Sauce, Garlic Mayo & Slaw
In honor of Asian Heritage Month we’re featuring KFC. No, silly! Not that KFC, it’s Korean Fried Chicken, brought to you via Omsom—a company founded by two Vietnamese sisters who bring authentic Asian flavors to your kitchen with delicious, convenient sauce packets. Here you’ll double-fry (or air-fry) marinated, batter-dipped chicken, then coat the extra-crisp morsels in a buttery, spicy Korean bulgogi sauce. Serve your fried chicken with fragrant rice, a tangy quick-pickled cabbage-scallion slaw, peppery radishes, and garlic mayo for a flavor-packed celebration that’s oh-Seoul-good!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Omsom Korean Spicy Bulgogi Marinade
(Contains Sesame, Soy)
Shredded Red Cabbage
Rice Wine Vinegar
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • In a small pot, combine rice, half the garlic powder (you’ll use the rest later), ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt; bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel and mince or grate ginger until you have 1 tsp (2 tsp for 4 servings). Trim and discard root end from lettuce; separate leaves. Trim and thinly slice radishes into rounds. • Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Cut lengthwise into 1-inch-thick strips, then halve strips crosswise. In a medium bowl, toss chicken with half the Omsom Korean Spicy Bulgogi Marinade until coated (you’ll use the rest of the marinade later). Set aside to marinate, at least 10 minutes.
• In a second medium microwave-safe bowl, combine cabbage, vinegar, scallion whites, ginger, and 1½ tsp sugar (3 tsp for 4 servings). Cover with plastic wrap and microwave until cabbage is warmed through, 45-60 seconds. Carefully remove plastic wrap and stir. Set aside to pickle, stirring occasionally. • In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, remaining garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
• In a large, microwave-safe bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, a pinch of salt, and pepper. • Working one piece at a time, press marinated chicken into flour mixture and toss until coated in a thick layer. Set aside on a plate. • Discard any remaining flour mixture in bowl; wash and dry bowl.
• Heat a 1⁄3-inch layer of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot enough that a pinch of flour mixture sizzles when added to the pan, add chicken in a single layer (you may need to work in batches for 4 servings). Cook until chicken begins to brown, 2-3 minutes (lower heat if chicken begins to brown too quickly). • Flip and cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes more. Remove pan from heat; transfer chicken to a paper-towel-lined plate (do not discard oil!). Let chicken rest for 2-3 minutes (you’ll finish cooking it in the next step).
• Return pan with oil to medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, return fried chicken to pan in a single layer. Cook until deeply browned and cooked through, 1-2 minutes per side. Discard used paper towels; line plate with a fresh layer. Transfer chicken to paper-towel-lined plate. • Place 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings) in empty bowl used for flour. Microwave until melted, 20-30 seconds, then whisk in remaining Omsom Korean Spicy Bulgogi Marinade. • Add fried chicken to bowl; toss to coat.
• Fluff rice with a fork. Transfer rice to a serving bowl. • Place lettuce on a platter along with rice, spicy fried chicken, pickled cabbage, and radishes. Sprinkle scallion greens over spicy fried chicken and pickled cabbage. Serve family style, with garlic mayo on the side for dipping or drizzling.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.