Mad for meatballs but ready to break out of your usual routine? Well you’re in luck, because this ballin’ dish has just the thing. This week, our chefs ditched classic marinara sauce and spaghetti for a coconut-chili-lime sauce and a bed of sweet coconut-scented rice. As a bonus, they’re also throwing in tender roasted green beans and a scattering of scallions and crunchy peanuts. Say hasta la vista to pasta and prepare yourself for a Thai-inspired flavor explosion.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Coconut Milk(ContainsTree Nuts)
Ponzu Sauce(ContainsWheat, Fish, Soy)
Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Place rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse until water runs clear. Peel and mince or grate ginger. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens; mince whites. Zest and quarter lime. • 4 SERVINGS: Adjust racks to top and middle positions.
• Thoroughly shake coconut milk in container before opening. • In a small pot, combine ¼ cup coconut milk (you’ll use the rest later), 1 cup water, 1 TBSP butter, 1 tsp sugar, and a big pinch of salt. • Bring to a boil, then stir in rice, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook until liquid has absorbed and rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat for at least 10 minutes or until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Use ½ cup coconut milk, 1¾ cups water, 2 TBSP butter, and 2 tsp sugar.
• While rice cooks, in a large bowl, combine pork*, panko, ginger, scallion whites, ponzu, salt (we used ¾ tsp kosher salt), and pepper. Form into 10-12 1½-inch meatballs. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1½ tsp kosher salt. Form into 20-24 meatballs.
• Place meatballs on one side of a lightly oiled baking sheet. Toss green beans on empty side with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on top rack until meatballs are cooked through and green beans are browned and tender, 14-16 minutes. • 4 SERVINGS: Divide between 2 sheets; roast meatballs on middle rack and green beans on top rack.
• When meatballs and green beans have 5 minutes left, combine chili sauce and remaining coconut milk in a large pan; heat over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by about half, 2-3 minutes. • Turn off heat. Stir in a squeeze of lime juice to taste.
• Fluff rice with a fork and stir in lime zest. Season with salt and pepper. • Add meatballs to pan with coconut chili sauce; toss to coat. • Divide rice between bowls; top with meatballs and green beans. Spoon any remaining sauce over meatballs. Sprinkle with peanuts and scallion greens. Serve with remaining lime wedges on the side.