Vegan Shawarma-Spiced Chickpeas
with Pistachio Rice, Cucumber Salad & Garlicky White Sauce
We’re always on the hunt for vegan dinner ideas, and tonight it’s all about shawarma! For this veggie-centric spin, we swap the traditional spit-roasted meat for crisp roasted chickpeas with the same aromatic, warming spices. It’s served beside a fresh cuke, shallot, and tomato salad and over pistachio-studded basmati rice. Maybe the best thing about shawarma? the sauces—and we didn’t skimp. Drizzle on hot sauce and a creamy, garlicky white sauce, sprinkle with pistachios, then prepare to be totally bowled over.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Veggie Stock Concentrate
Shawarma Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Drain and rinse chickpeas; dry thoroughly with paper towels, removing as much moisture as possible. Halve, peel, and thinly slice shallot; mince a few slices until you have 2 TBSP (4 TBSP for 4 servings). Peel and mince or grate garlic. Roughly chop pistachios.
• In a medium bowl, toss chickpeas with half the stock concentrates, half the Shawarma Spice Blend (you’ll use the rest in the next step), a large drizzle of oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper. • Spread chickpeas out in a single layer on a lightly oiled foil-lined baking sheet. Roast on top rack, tossing halfway through, until chickpeas are slightly crispy, 18-20 minutes. (It’s natural for chickpeas to pop a bit while roasting.) • Wipe out bowl.
• While chickpeas roast, heat a large drizzle of oil in a small pot (use a medium pot for 4 servings) over medium-high heat. Add minced shallot, half the garlic, half the pistachios, remaining Shawarma Spice Blend, and a big pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. • Stir in rice, remaining stock concentrates, and ¾ cup water (1½ cups for 4). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve.
• Quarter cucumber lengthwise; slice into ½-inch-thick pieces. Halve tomatoes lengthwise. Zest and quarter lemon. • In bowl used for chickpeas, combine cucumber, tomatoes, and as much sliced shallot as you like. Toss with half the lemon zest, juice from one lemon wedge, and a drizzle of olive oil. (For 4 servings, use juice from two wedges and a large drizzle of olive oil.) Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• In a small bowl, whisk together vegan mayo, remaining garlic, remaining lemon zest, and juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4 servings). • Whisk in 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4) until combined. (If needed, add water 1 tsp at a time until sauce reaches a drizzling consistency.) Season white sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
• Fluff rice with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice between shallow bowls. Top with cucumber salad and roasted chickpeas in separate sections. Drizzle everything with white sauce and as much hot sauce as you like. Sprinkle with remaining pistachios and serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.