Vegan Shawarma-Spiced Portobello Skewers
with Bell Pepper, Green Beans, Lemony Rice & Hummus Sauce
We’re sticking it to boring old meat skewers—literally! This vegan dinner idea makes a point (get it?) for trying something colorful, fresh, and tasty. The earthy portobello mushrooms, bright bell pepper, and sweet red onion that adorn these skewers are coated in a warming spice blend that gives them a delicious depth of flavor as they roast and caramelize. The skewers are served atop fluffy, zesty lemon rice with roasted green beans as well as lemony hummus sauce for dipping, drizzling, and dunking to your heart’s content.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Green Bell Pepper
Shawarma Spice Blend
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust racks to top and middle positions and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Place skewers in a shallow dish and cover with water to soak. • Using the tip of a spoon, remove and discard black gills from undersides of mushrooms; trim any large stems if necessary. Cut mushrooms into 1-inch pieces. Core and cut bell pepper into 1-inch pieces. Halve, peel, and cut onion into 1-inch-thick wedges, then halve wedges crosswise. Trim green beans if necessary. Zest and quarter lemon.
• In a large bowl, combine mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion with a large drizzle of oil and half the Shawarma Spice Blend (all for 4 servings). Season with salt and pepper; toss to coat. • Thread each skewer with 3-6 veggie pieces, alternating between veggies (you’ll make 3-4 skewers per person). • Arrange veggie skewers on a baking sheet; roast on top rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a small pot, combine rice, 1¼ cups water (2¼ cups for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. • Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • While rice cooks, toss green beans on a second baking sheet with a drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on middle rack until green beans are browned and tender, 12-15 minutes.
• Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together hummus and juice from one lemon wedge (two wedges for 4 servings). • Add water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
• Fluff rice with a fork; stir in juice from two lemon wedges (four wedges for 4 servings) and a pinch of lemon zest. • Taste and season with salt, pepper, and more lemon juice if needed.
• Divide lemony rice, green beans, and veggie skewers between plates. Divide hummus sauce between small serving bowls and serve alongside for dipping.