Vegan Tofu Ramen in a Ginger-Soy Broth
with Carrots, Spinach, Sesame-Chili Oil & Crispy Onions
We’re all obsessed with ramen over here—and we don’t mean the instant variety. We’re talking about that soul-stirring combination of rich ginger-miso broth and a tangle of chewy noodles. For this vegan version, each bowl is filled with fresh spinach and topped off with pillowy pan-seared tofu and carrots, scallion greens, crunchy fried onions, and as much (or little!) sesame-chili oil as your heart desires. If you weren’t a hopeless ramen-tic yet, this dish should do the trick.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Miso Sauce Concentrate
Mushroom Stock Concentrate
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Crispy Fried Onions
Not included in your delivery
• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Wash and dry produce. • Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Peel and mince ginger. Peel and mince garlic. Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ¼-inch-thick pieces. • Open and drain tofu; press out excess water with paper towels. Halve crosswise, then stand tofu upright and halve vertically. Lay flat and cut into ¾-inch cubes.
• In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine sesame seeds, a drizzle of oil, a big pinch of salt, and chili flakes to taste. • Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Microwave until fragrant, 30 seconds. Set chili oil aside.
• Once water is boiling, add noodles to pot. Cook, stirring, until al dente, 2 minutes. • Drain, then toss noodles with a drizzle of oil. Reserve pot.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in empty pot used for noodles over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites, ginger, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Stir in 3½ cups water (7 cups for 4 servings), miso sauce concentrates, mushroom stock concentrates, soy sauce, and ¼ tsp salt (½ tsp for 4). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. • Let simmer until ready to serve.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in a large, preferably nonstick, pan over medium-high heat. Add tofu, a big pinch of salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes. • Turn off heat; transfer tofu to a plate and drizzle with half the sesame oil (all for 4 servings). Wipe out pan.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in same pan over medium-high heat. Add carrots and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and softened, 5-7 minutes. (TIP: Add a splash of water if carrots begin to brown too quickly.) Set aside until ready to serve. • Add spinach to pot with broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 1-2 minutes. Taste and season with salt if desired.
• Divide some noodles between large soup bowls. Pour some broth and spinach over noodles (you may have noodles and broth left over—seconds!). Stir in as much chili oil as you like. • Top each bowl with tofu, carrots, and scallion greens. Sprinkle with a few crispy onions and serve. TIP: Don’t add all the onions just yet! Add as you eat to keep them nice and crispy.