Vegetable & Chicken Sausage Soup
with Kale, Farro & Garlic Bread
No matter the weather, it’s tough not to crave a big bowl of soup (i.e. the culinary equivalent of a bear hug). Enter this hearty, soul-warming veggie rendition. It’s chock-full of goodness—that’s to say carrots, onion, crushed tomatoes, a bevy of Italian herbs and spices, chewy couscous, and tender kale. And because no good brothy bowl is complete without something delicious for dunking, we’re also throwing in a side of toasty, buttery garlic bread. Soup’s on!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Veggie Stock Concentrate
(Contains Soy, Wheat)
Italian Chicken Sausage Mix
Not included in your delivery
• Wash and dry produce. • Halve, peel, and dice onion. Trim, peel, and cut carrots into ¼-inch-thick rounds. Peel and mince or grate garlic. Remove and discard any large stems from kale.
• Place farro and 3½ cups water (6 cups for 4 servings) in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and cook until farro is tender, 25-30 minutes. Drain farro if necessary.
While farro cooks, pat chicken dry with paper towels and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken or sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned and cooked through, 4-6 minutes. Turn off heat; transfer to a plate. Wipe out pot.
• Meanwhile, heat a large drizzle of olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and carrots; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are lightly browned and slightly softened, 4-6 minutes. • Stir Italian Seasoning and garlic into pot with veggies. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. • Add crushed tomatoes, stock concentrates, 3 cups water (6 cups for 4 servings), and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until carrots are just softened, 5-7 minutes.
Use pot used for chicken or sausage here.
• Once carrots are just softened, stir in kale. Cook until kale is wilted, 8-10 minutes. • Stir cooked farro into pot. Taste and season generously with salt and pepper.
Once kale is wilted, stir in chicken or sausage.
• Halve baguette lengthwise. • Place 2 TBSP butter (4 TBSP for 4 servings) in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave until just softened, 10-15 seconds. Stir in half the garlic powder (all for 4) and season with salt and pepper. • Toast baguette halves, then spread cut sides with garlic butter. Halve each piece on a diagonal.
• Divide soup between bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and a pinch of chili flakes to taste. Serve with garlic bread on the side.
Chicken Sausage is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.