Our chefs are always brainstorming ways to make “chicken for dinner” a little more awesome. The delicious twist this week: a dynamic pan sauce with cherry jam, ancho chili powder, rich demi-glace, and a squeeze of lemon juice. Sweet and savory is the name of the game here, with the sides being no exception. Roasted carrots tossed with lemon zest and scallion-studded rice pair perfectly with the smoky-sweet chicken. Get ready for a flavor explosion.
Produced in a facility that processes milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybean.
Ancho Chili Powder
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry all produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into 1-inch-thick pieces. Trim and thinly slice scallions, separating whites from greens. Zest and quarter lemon.
• Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. • Roast on top rack until carrots are golden brown and tender, 25-30 minutes.
• Meanwhile, melt 1 TBSP butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add half the scallion whites; cook until softened, 1 minute. • Add ¾ cup water and a big pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then stir in rice. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook until tender, 15-18 minutes. Keep covered off heat until ready to serve. • 4 SERVINGS: Melt 2 TBSP butter. Add 1½ cups water.
• While rice cooks, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Turn off heat; transfer chicken to a plate. Wipe out pan.
• Heat same pan over medium heat. Add 1 TBSP butter, remaining scallion whites, and chili powder to taste (start with ¼ tsp and add more from there if you like things spicy). Cook for 1 minute. • Stir in demi-glace, jam, and ¼ cup water. Bring to a simmer; cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes. • Squeeze in juice from 1 lemon wedge. Turn off heat. • 4 SERVINGS: Use 1/3 cup water.
• Toss roasted carrots with lemon zest. • Fluff rice with a fork; stir in half the scallion greens and season with salt and pepper. • Divide rice, carrots, and chicken between plates. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining scallion greens. Serve with remaining lemon wedges on the side.vvv