Garlicky Chicken with Kale Salad
plus Roasted Carrot, Apple & Creamy Lemon Fig Dressing
Low-carb, high-flavor dinner idea–if it’s what you’re looking for (and we’re pretty sure it is) then we’ve got the dish for you. It starts with a salad of kale, crispy sliced apple, and tender roasted carrots; it’s tossed with a creamy, sweet, spicy lemon-fig dressing and showered with crunchy almonds. Then it’s topped with warm, garlicky sliced chicken and drizzled with more sweet ’n’ spicy dressing. That’s about all the flavor and texture you could ask for in a weeknight dinner.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
(Contains Tree Nuts)
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 425 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick pieces. Remove and discard any large stems from kale; chop leaves into bite-size pieces. Quarter lemon.
• Toss carrots on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast on top rack until tender, 20-25 minutes.
• In a large bowl, combine kale, a drizzle of oil (large drizzle for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Using your hands, massage kale (similar to how you would knead dough) until leaves are tender, 1 minute. TIP: Don’t skip this step—massaging helps the kale leaves wilt slightly, lending a tender (never fibrous!) texture.
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels and season all over with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. • Heat a drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. (TIP: Lower heat if chicken browns too quickly.) Transfer to a cutting board to rest.
• While chicken cooks, in a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, jam, mustard, hot sauce, juice from half the lemon (juice from whole lemon for 4 servings), and 3 TBSP olive oil (6 TBSP for 4). (TIP: If you like things less spicy, use half the hot sauce.) Taste and season with salt and pepper. • Thinly slice half the apple (whole apple for 4).
• Slice chicken crosswise. • Add ¾ of the dressing to bowl with kale; toss to coat. Add roasted carrots, sliced apple, and half the almonds. Toss to combine; taste and season with salt and pepper if desired. • Divide salad between bowls; top with chicken. Drizzle remaining dressing over chicken and garnish with remaining almonds. Serve.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.