Honey Miso Chicken Bulgur Bowls
with Kale & Roasted Carrots
This delicious, nutritious bowl truly has it all, starting with bulgur wheat—a hearty, fluffy whole grain and longtime staple of Middle Eastern and Mediterranean cuisines. We combine it with crunchy tenderized kale for a big dose of greens. To that, we add oven-roasted sweet red onion and carrots, top it with garlicky pan-seared chicken, and drizzle it all with a savory-sweet honey-miso sauce. We firmly believe everything tastes better in a bowl, so get ready to curl up on the couch and dig into one delicious meal!
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Miso Sauce Concentrate
Not included in your delivery
• Adjust rack to middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and cut carrots on a diagonal into ½-inch-thick pieces. Halve, peel, and slice onion into ½-inch-thick wedges; mince one wedge (two wedges for 4 servings). • Remove and discard any large stems from kale; chop into bite-size pieces if desired. Add kale and a drizzle of oil to a large bowl; using your hands, massage kale until leaves are tender (similar to how you would knead dough), 1 minute.
• Toss carrots and onion wedges on a baking sheet with a large drizzle of oil, salt, and pepper. • Roast on middle rack until browned and tender, 20-25 minutes.
• Meanwhile, heat a drizzle of oil in a small pot over medium-high heat. Add minced onion; cook, stirring, until softened and translucent, 3-4 minutes. • Stir in bulgur, 1 cup water, and ½ tsp salt (2 cups water and 1 tsp salt for 4 servings). Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a low simmer. Cook until water has absorbed and bulgur is tender, 12-15 minutes. • Keep covered off heat (you’ll finish it in Step 6).
• While bulgur cooks, pat chicken* dry with paper towels; season all over with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. • Heat a large drizzle of oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until browned and cooked through, 6-8 minutes per side. • Transfer chicken to a cutting board to rest.
• While chicken cooks, in a small microwave-safe bowl, combine miso sauce concentrate, honey, 2 TBSP water (4 TBSP for 4 servings), and a pinch of salt. Cover with plastic wrap; microwave until heated through, 30 seconds. Stir honey miso sauce to combine and set aside.
• Drain any excess water from bulgur if necessary; fluff with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Add bulgur and roasted veggies to bowl with kale. Toss to combine; season with salt and pepper to taste. • Slice chicken crosswise. • Divide bulgur-kale mixture between bowls. Top with chicken and drizzle with honey miso sauce. Serve.
Chicken is fully cooked when internal temperature reaches 165°.