When you picture shawarma, do you imagine chicken on a stick? Tonight’s spiced chicken has all the typical Middle Eastern-inspired flavors, but it’s cooked in one pan. You’ll add carrots, garlic, rice, and raisins to your chicken, then mix it all together with a squeeze of fresh lemon, a drizzle of cilantro crema, and a garnish of almonds. Ditch the rotisserie for a dinner that’s easy to clean up and even easier to gobble down.
Produced in a facility that processes eggs, milk, fish, peanuts, sesame, shellfish, soy, tree nuts, and wheat.
Shawarma Spice Blend
Chicken Stock Concentrate
• Pat chicken* dry with paper towels. Season all over with 1 tsp Shawarma Spice (2 tsp for 4 servings), salt, and pepper. (You’ll use the rest of the Shawarma Spice later.) • Heat a drizzle of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick, pan (use a large, preferably nonstick, pan for 4) over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned and cooked through, 3-5 minutes per side. • Remove from pan and set aside to rest.
• While chicken cooks, wash and dry produce. • Trim, peel, and dice carrots into ½-inch pieces. Peel and mince garlic. Finely chop cilantro. Quarter lemon.
• Heat a drizzle of oil in pan used for chicken over medium-high heat. • Add carrots in a single layer; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes.
• Add a drizzle of oil to pan with carrots; add garlic, rice, raisins, remaining Shawarma Spice, and ½ tsp salt (1 tsp for 4 servings). Cook until fragrant, 1 minute. • Stir in 1½ cups water (3 cups for 4) and stock concentrates. Bring to a boil; cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid has reduced by half, 3-4 minutes. Cover pan and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, 15-18 minutes. TIP: Add a splash of water if mixture seems dry. • Remove pan from heat; return chicken to pan. Let sit for 3 minutes to warm through.
• While rice cooks, in a small bowl, combine yogurt, sour cream, and half the cilantro. Stir in water 1 tsp at a time until mixture reaches a drizzling consistency. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Transfer chicken to a cutting board; slice crosswise. • Fluff rice with a fork and stir in a big squeeze of lemon juice to taste. • Divide rice between bowls. Top with chicken and garnish with almonds and remaining cilantro. Drizzle cilantro yogurt sauce over top. Squeeze juice from any remaining lemon wedges over bowls to taste and serve.